Overcoming Art Block: Reviving your Creative Fountain

     To be an artist is a challenge within itself. Whether you have made your passion a career, hobby, or a stress-reliever; sometimes your passion for art is suddenly lost.

 Many artists know this as ‘Artist's Block.’ It’s a mental barrier that keeps you from creating the way you may want to. You look at a blank page, canvas, or journal but nothing comes to mind; you're stuck in a block that you can't seem to break free from.  

 

Don't worry, every creative has been there.  

 

It's a mental battle to feel like you can't create, like your spark is just missing. This is something I experience frequently. Every time I end up in a block, I sit with myself and ask WHY?  

 

Why do I feel limited? Why do I feel like I've lost my passion. Why can't I create?  

 

 WHY CAN'T I CREATE?  

 

A lightbulb goes off, well metaphorically; as much as I wish all the lights in my home would just illuminate like a sign of "You figured it out!” 

 

I can create! Why have I put this limiting belief of ‘I can't’ in my head. I just stopped myself from being able to do what I know I can. Yes, I can think of something to draw. Yes, I can paint something phenomenal right now. Yes, I can create a masterpiece from what I thought was nothing. I limited myself by thinking I couldn't do it and when I ask myself why I was limiting myself it never has anything to do with my actual creative process.  

 

It has everything to do with the outside pressures of my life. For me, most the time, it was work. Work was causing such a mental drain for me that I just lost all passion to do anything outside of the shop. I didn't want to paint, draw, color, anything that didn't have to do with tattooing. The most I could conjure up was drawing my appointment for the next day. This was something that was taking a major toll on not only my mind but my soul.  

 

As someone that is a confessed workaholic, not wanting to work and pursue my dreams and passions was draining me quickly. Normally I'd have my appointments drawn a week in advance, or I'd be working on new flash sheets all the time. I was an ever-flowing fountain of ideas and creativity; so, when it stopped, I blamed myself. I wasn't doing enough, I needed to push myself harder. If I could just do a few extra designs a day, I could catch up with the loss I had put myself in. I realized quickly this was the exact opposite of what I needed to do.  

 

What I needed was a BREAK!  

 

A vacation, or just time alone with myself. A moment to not put myself down and instead lift myself up. I needed to give myself the rest and relaxation my body, mind, and soul deserved. Sometimes you push yourself so hard into your passion; especially when you have made it into a career; that you forget your human. You're not a robot and you can't just keep pushing out new pieces every day on top of making your own content, staying current, working against algorithms, etc.  

 

You are a human and you need rest. 

  

If you feel like you are blocked, take a second to ask yourself the same thing. 

  

WHY CAN'T I CREATE?  

 

You'll find very quickly the reason you feel so blocked. Maybe you're just exhausted. You work full time and create on top of it. Your home life doesn't give you the sense of sanctuary and peace. It's draining to come home and want to create. Your work doesn't give you the time you need to feel like you can have a life outside of it. There are so many external factors that can be the root of why you are blocked creatively.  

 

Often times the problem is much farther back than you realize. So, take a step back and view the full picture. Do you create full time? Have you been prepping for an upcoming show and have busted out 20+ pieces of new work to have available, but you need more? You're pushing yourself beyond your capability because you've forgotten to give yourself the time. first and foremost, to breathe and be human. I'm personally someone that gets so hyper-focused into my work I forget basic self-care; feeding myself, going out in the sun, talking to friends or family. I get so inside my bubble of creating and don't come out for so long, that when I do I have no desire to create anymore. 

Last week was the first time in months that I've had an extended amount of downtime. All I wanted to do was paint and create new pieces to sell. I needed the money. Times have been rough and I figured I could paint my way out of it. I started so many paintings, ones I was truly so proud of.  

 

As the end of the week drew closer, my panic began to set in. "I haven't created enough." "I worked all week and only have 4 paintings actually complete." "If I ever wanted to live off my traditional art, I would have to do so much better."  

 

In a week’s time, I had created so many pieces I was absolutely in love with, so proud of and by weeks end I was bashing myself for not having done enough. It was counterproductive to everything I had done.  


A few of the pieces I had begun to create. This was my first time painting clouds!

Why was I being so hard on myself? 

 

I've had a rough couple of weeks. I deserved rest and relaxation and instead I worked on paintings. Although painting has always been very therapeutic for me, I could've done anything else. So why was I being so harsh on my own creative process? I had called my Mom and she could tell I was very stressed and overwhelmed. I only had one day left of my staycation and I told her I had practically completed nothing. She told me I was so wrong. I had created so much I loved. I had rejuvenated my love for acrylics and paintings. I had created 4 beautiful paintings with techniques I had never tried and succeeded.  

 

I did so much and she told me to stop being so hard on myself. She forced me to take a look at the bigger picture, because I had become so lost in the details. It gave me the realization that she was right. I hadn't painted in MONTHS, and here I was painting all day well into night every day. My love for painting was back. The block I thought I had was not there anymore. I had moved past it and created something again.   

I hadn't painted in months because of my work and home situation. I was under so much stress constantly, and life felt so unstable. I didn't have any desire to paint. That week of staycation rejuvenated my passion. I was finally in a stress-free environment. 


I was moving into a new Tattoo shop that was better for my mental stability. I had moved my home to somewhere safer and more peaceful. Before I knew it my fountain of creativity was back on. All I wanted to do was create again. When I posted my paintings on Facebook, I had so many of my friends reach out to me and tell me they were so excited to see me painting again! While I was being so hard on myself, everyone else was so proud of the things I was doing.  

 

My sister called me and told me that she hadn't been painting in quite some time either. I found this utterly shocking as she makes a mass of her income from her paintings and prints that she sells. She told me there was nothing she wanted to paint. She had ‘Artist Block’. She felt out of ideas. There was nothing new for her to create she just stared at a blank canvas and gave up. Granted she's been very into running and fitness, so most of her energy she puts into that. I told her I understood how she felt and that sometimes it's good to take a break from creating and take a step back. I knew she would go back to painting again, it's in our blood to create. 

 

It's who we've been our entire lifetime.  

 

Before I knew it, she was sending pictures to the Family Group chat of her NEW paintings! I was so thrilled to see she was creating again. After the pictures popped up, she said "I wouldn't have gotten inspired without seeing how hard you've been working. Thank you!", and followed it up with, "It brought me a lot of joy to paint again." I couldn't believe it, tears swelled up in my eyes from joy. I was thrilled to see Lizzie paint again, but because of me? I inspired her? It felt unbelievable. To inspire other creators has always been my dream. I want to be a part of a community - a part of the experience for artists and creators alike. It's why I create, why I write my posts, why I push myself so hard.  

 

I was so angry at myself for not creating enough because I thought I could've done better, but my sister being inspired by me brought me a sense of peace and joy. It was exactly what I needed to hear, whether she realized it or not.  

    

"Enola" created by Lizzie Jones
This was the piece she was inspired to create.

I create to inspire. I don't want to create just for profit, or for followers, or for fame. I want to create to inspire people, the world, bring beauty to people’s lives when they may feel like they have none.  

 

WHY CAN'T I CREATE?  

 

Well, it simply boils down to this: my energy is telling me I need a rest. I need a break, and maybe you do to. Take the time you need away from creating. Take time to do other things that bring you joy. Go sit in a field of flowers, or go hike a trail with your dog. Swim in the ocean or make snow angels. Whatever it may be, give yourself the time to recharge your energy so you can come back with a sense of revival. A sense of peace of mind and before you know it your faucet of ideas will be back on. Know you are not alone in your block. We all go through it. Creators, artists, and small business owners work harder and push themselves farther than anyone I have ever met.  

 

Many times, I see you posting "I'm sorry but I'm taking a moment away from creating," or "I'm sorry but mentally I just need a break. 

 

DO NOT be sorry for doing what is best for you, your body, your mind, and your soul.  

 


If you push yourself too far you may just lose your passion all together. You may regret making your hobby a career, your passion into profit. Give yourself a break! You are human and the people that truly love and care about you as an artist will understand that you’re not a printer and you can't just keep going all of the time.  

I know this post was particularly long, but I wanted to share my story with you. I wanted you to hear it from another creator. We all get there sometimes; keep going but at the pace you need to.  

 

                                                                         With love and light, 

                                                                       Rebecca Enola Lynn Valentine


Comments

Popular Posts